CAA, FAA offer lithium battery safety videos - 22/07/2014

The UK CAA, in collaboration with the US FAA, has released a series of videos highlighting the hazards to flight safety resulting from the improper carriage of lithium batteries.

UK's new tank certification system - 22/07/2014

The UK Dept for Transport, through the VCA Dangerous Goods Office, has introduced a database system to manage the publication of Certificates for Tanks for Dangerous Goods.

Chinese yards grab chemship orders - 21/07/2014

Brokers report two major chemical tanker orders in China this week, although details are not confirmed.

CSB finds lack of inspection at Freedom - 20/07/2014

The US Chemical Safety Board says it can find no record of a formal inspection programme at the Freedom Industries site where a leak of MCHM to the Elk River this past January contaminated water supplies for 300,000 people in West Virginia.

Canada makes tough proposals on rail tanks - 19/07/14

Transport Canada has opened a consultation on a proposed new standard for tank cars used to carry dangerous goods by rail.

Volumes down at Rotterdam - 18/07/14

Liquid bulk throughput at the Port of Rotterdam fell by 5.2% in the first half of 2014 to 99.0m tonnes, as against 104.4m tonnes in first half of 2013.

More, bigger ships for Stealthgas - 18/07/14

Stealthgas has confirmed earlier reports of its order for larger semi-refrigerated tonnage.

PHMSA lithium battery rule gets clearance - 18/07/14

The US Office of Management and Budgets has cleared PHMSA's proposed final rule to update the lithium battery requirements in the Hazardous Materials Regulations.

Bohai plans Cronos/Seaco merger - 15/07/14

Bohai Leasing has signed an MOU to acquire 80% of Cronos Ltd, with the remaining 20% to be sold by its current owners to a minority investor.

US plans explosives rule changes - 15/07/14

PHMSA has issued an NPRM proposing to establish standards for the safe transport of bulk explosives.

US hazmat routing updated - 14/07/14

US FMCSA has published a Notice updating the National Hazardous Materials Route Registry. 

Australia updates ADG Code - 14/07/14

Australia’s National Transport Commission has published a revised version of the Australian Dangerous Goods Code (ADG), which covers land transport.

Not Otherwise Specified

  • Headline of the month

    There are days when one is brought up short by a headline, usually in a local newspaper. This month’s arresting title was this: ‘Screaming man found with dead raccoon in Mukilteo’.

  • Caught in the act

    The widespread use of CCTV is making life hard for the average miscreant. Footage from a cashpoint (ATM) in Boulder, Colorado, in May revealed one abortive attempt to get lucky.

  • Sandwich spread

    Something of a cacophagous selection of stories this month, starting off in South Africa where a resident of Soshanguve got a nasty surprise with his lunch in April.